Who are we?
We’re a full-service marketing agency with offices in Oxfordshire and West Yorkshire. We believe in really getting to understand our clients and their challenges. We ask, why? Is there a better way? That’s how we deliver real results.
Although we’re a relatively small agency (20-30 employees), we have a varied client base, ranging from small, local businesses through to the biggest automotive companies in the world. Check out our website for more information:
With our expertise in design, websites, applications, mobile apps, events, videos, animation / VR, print and much more, it’s safe to say, there should never be a dull moment.
We are currently recruiting for an experienced PHP developer to join our growing digital team. You’ll be working with a number of different departments and directly with clients.
What we’d like you to have:
- 5+ years working experience: The projects you’ll be working on will be substantial and occasionally complex. We’d like you to have sufficient experience to take this in your stride.
- Good communication skills: You’ll be working closely with our design and client services teams to bring client briefs to life. You’ll occasionally be required to liaise directly with clients to provide updates on projects. Being able to communicate effectively on progress to teams and clients, along with highlighting any problems you encounter, means nobody gets an unpleasant surprise.
- Critical thinking: Whilst we love our clients, they aren’t developers. You may find that there is a better/more efficient solution than outlined in a client brief. We want you to have the confidence in your own ability to be able to suggest improvements and alternative methods rather than blindly following orders.
- Solid organisational skills: We’re busy. You may find yourself working on multiple projects simultaneously. Being able to manage your time to ensure that no proverbial balls get dropped is a skill you’ll need.
- Team Leader / Mentor: With a number of juniors in the team, we’d be looking for you to harness their abilities and help them grow
The technical bits:
- WordPress experience: A large part of your role will be projects involving WordPress (both normal and e-commerce). You therefore need to be comfortable building custom themes, functionality, plugins and deploying sites.
- Framework Experience: Any good experience developing with any framework would be advantageous to your application. We’re looking to branch out our offering and would like the candidate to be heavily involved with that.
- Write logical, well-commented code. We all understand the importance of this and as a team, it’s vital we can work collaboratively without spending huge amounts of time deciphering what it may/may not do.
- Front-end knowledge: Including HTML5, CSS3, LESS/SCSS/SASS, JS
- Cross-browser testing: Ideally with device-agnostic development
- Good comprehension of web accessibility
- Use of version control (eg: Git) and bug/issue tracking systems (eg. JIRA / Zoho)
- Understanding of the principles and implementation of SEO
- Website building: We always look to provide lightweight and lightning-quick websites for our clients.
- Responsive best practices: a good understanding of the theory and how to actually implement them.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Experience with the plethora of “popular” JS libraries / frameworks, such as React, Angular, jQuery, Greensock, Vue.js, D3.js etc.
- Experience with server architecture and SQL/MySQL Databases.
- Working in small teams with an interest in driving our future development.
- Examples of work you’ve been involved in, or projects you’ve undertaken in your own time.
What’s in it for you:
There’s never a dull moment here at h2o and we value those who are willing to dive headfirst into new challenges. When you join the h2o family, you’re getting more than just a career: you’re investing in your future and wellness.
Our benefits include, but aren’t limited to:
- Very competitive salary
- Working in a great, exciting and expanding team
- Opportunity to grow within the role
- Training (where required/requested)
- Relaxed working environment
- Working on engaging projects
- Experiencing working with a variety of well-known brands both B2B and B2C
- Company Macbook Pro (or equivalent)
- Quarterly team events
- Flexibility with working environments, including being fully remote.
If this sounds like it could be something up your street, let’s have a virtual coffee.
Email your CV and if you came across our social advert – tell us what you found wrong in the code! – firstname.lastname@example.org